And now for something completely different.
I have played a lot of World of Warcraft over the past years. During The Burning Crusade, I was Guild Master of a raiding guild. We had a raiding schedule of 4 evenings per week, where we did 25-person events from 20:00 until midnight.
Being the Guild Master, there was often much to do before each raid started. This meant that I needed to make a fast meal between arriving home from work and 20:00. I don’t like to order food, and I actually like to cook, so I needed to come up with a few meals that require little preparation time.
This is one such recipe. It takes about 10-15 minutes of actual work to prepare (excluding the waiting time for defrosting), plus 30-35 minutes in the oven.
Ingredients (for 2-4 people)
- 450 grams of spinach (frozen)
- 2-3 eggs
- 200 grams of mild grated cheese
- 100-150 grams of diced bacon
- 1 pack of puff pastry (400 – 500 grams)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Herbs: oregano, basil, some mix of italian herbs
- Optional: sesame seeds (to sprinkle on top)
1. Defrost the puff pastry and the spinach.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 225 degrees.
3. Bake the bacon lightly. It should not become too crunchy.
4. Finely chop or press the garlic.
5. Stir in the spinach, grated cheese, eggs, and bacon. Add the herbs and garlic. Stir some more.
6. Grease up the oven dish and line it with puff pastry. Keep enough puff pastry to cover the top later on.
7. Put the mixture of spinach and other ingredients in the oven dish.
8. Cover the top of the mixture with puff pastry.
9. Optionally, smear the top with a tiny bit of water or milk, and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
10. Oven-cook for 30-35 minutes.
11. When the inside of the dish is solid and no longer liquid, the guild master spinach pie is ready for consumption.